Search This Blog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

First of Many

As I am sure is the case with many of you who have started a blog on this website or maybe another one, we are not quite sure what we are doing or why we are doing it.  I can tell you the honest truth as to why I am still up writing at 11 pm is because earlier this evening I was watching Julie and Julia with my girlfriend (gentleman, you have to watch what the lady wants...its a fact of life that you must get used to!) and the main character seemed to enjoy her creative outlet so hopefully this will serve as mine.  Now, first of all I would like to address the movie I just mentioned.  Some of the few people who will hopefully read this blog (somebody...anyone??) have watched movies that inspire you to do something impressive that you saw in the movie.  Now, I have a confession....I am a rubbish cook.  I live in a family of 6 children and my wonderful mum has always done that sort of thing for us being the lovely person that she is.  But watching that movie....I just had the desire to go cook untill my fingers bled!...a serious possibility considering my abilities with kitchen knives.  I couldnt, nor did I of course, much the same as someone watching Pretty Woman couldnt go out and find a drop dead gorgeous actress walking the streets, but nonetheless, the desire was there......no not for Julia (hey!! another one!) you sicko! I meant the cooking of course! 

For the past couple of weeks I have been working for a company called Cutco.  Perhaps you've heard of them...perhaps not.  Perhaps I have called you and begged you to let me into your house so I can spew forth a 45 minute presentation and give you puppy eyes in the hope that you will buy some very expensive kitchen knives.  Perhaps you let me in so I could give you the presentation and you did NOT buy anything and all I got was my $16 base pay and I left your house dispirited and went to go mope away at Coldstones.  But I digress....my mum, bought a block of these knives from me in the first week of work as any mother would do and although expensive....she has loved them.  Although they are very expensive they are worth the price if you value that sort of thing.  Now hold in with me there, I am getting back to the movie....I promise.  When I finished the movie with this burning desire to cook....I thought....If I do go into the kitchen and cook...I will have to use those obscenely sharp knives....and I WILL cut myself....so for now....the cooking dream will have to rest.  That and the fact that my cooking knowledge extends as far as my interest in cell evolution does prevented me from becoming the next Julia Child/Powell.  However...I would like to cook, or learn to cook SOMETHING at least so please, if ANYBODY at all is reading this blog, do me the favor of at least leaving a recipe or an idea in the comments so I can try it out?  Failing that...leave your experience at cooking something (good or bad) and we will all (plural see?? As you can see from my blog title...I have hope that more than just me are reading this ;P) how it turned out and have a laugh with you. 

SB

4 comments:

  1. Now, I could give you my homemade biscuit recipe, or my pumpkin or key lime pie ones (because cooking and baking are essentially the same) but the recipe cards are at home. Since I am currently ensconced in a... Oh, yes, a "feminist boot camp" (not inaccurate, actually), I cannot give you the recipe at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thankyou dear Rose :P at some point I would like the opportunity to butcher those recipes. You are particularly in my good graces as you seem to be the only person who is reading my blog :/ apart from someone else who could also be you but im not sure. Caling me a "mofo" isnt particularly your style so im fairly sure it is someone else. As for the feminine boot camp...was it really that accurate???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will teach you so you don't kill my recipes. :P :)
    Hah, no. I would not call you a "mofo". That is really not my style, :P
    Yes, actually. I shall have to write you a (second) letter to describe it, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright this blog has been interesting if you want some food tips I could show you at Thanksgiving... good blog though Alex

    ReplyDelete